Permanent residence Work in canada

What are the work experience requirements for Express Entry?

work experience canada

In the first place, it is important to know which are the trades considered “qualified” for the three streams of Express Entry, which are determined according to the National Occupation Classification (NOC) system. According to the website, the groups are those described below:

Skill type 0 (zero): management jobs, such as:

  • Restaurant managers
  • Mine managers
  • Coast captains (fishing)

Skill level A: professional jobs that generally require a degree from a university.

Skill level B: Skilled technical jobs and trades that generally require a university degree or apprenticeship training.

Skill level C: intermediate jobs that generally require training in high school and/or in a specific job, such as:

  • Industrial butchers
  • Long distance truck drivers
  • Food and beverage servers

Skill level D: job that generally provide on-the-job training, such as:

  • Fruit pickers
  • Cleaning team
  • Oil field workers

For Express Entry, only work experience will be valid in jobs that are classified within levels 0, A and B, which are considered “qualified”. But … How many years of experience are required? Well, the amount of experience will depend on the immigration program to which you are going to apply. Currently it is possible to access the programs: Federal Skilled Workers, Federal Skilled Trades and Canadian Experience Class. Next, we tell you about the requirements in terms of work experience of each one:

Federal Skilled Worker Program

At least one year of work experience in the last 10 years is required and this must match the main occupation on your immigration application. The experience will be valid if it was in Canada or abroad and will add points depending on the number of years.

Federal Skilled Trades Program

For this program you will need at least 2 years of work experience in a qualified trade within the 5 years prior to submitting your immigration application. Additionally, you will need a full-time job offer for a minimum of 1 year or a certificate of qualification in your qualified trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial, or federal authority.  

Canadian experience class

This program is intended for individuals who have at least 1 year of work experience in Canada in a qualifying occupation, in a full-time job. This experience may have been acquired within the 3 years prior to applying. Keep in mind that the experience acquired in freelance work or while studying does not apply to this program.

We hope this information is very helpful for you. Remember that at Di Leone Group, we are always at your service to advise and represent your immigration case, whether you are in Canada or anywhere in the world.

Until next time!

Leave your comment